Wednesday 23 May 2012

Bornfree Profile: Zimkhitha from Cape Town



Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com
Today we meet Zimkhitha from Cape Town:


BornfreesSA: Tell us who you are and a bit about yourself?
I am Ntombizimkhita Kundlwana. I was born at Mthatha General Hospital on the 19th of January 1994. I'm originally from the Eastern Cape but currently living in the Western Cape with both my parents. My father is employed by the Department of Correctional Services and I live within the perimeter of Pollsmoor Prison. I have 4 siblings, 2 older sisters a younger brother and younger sister and a niece and nephew.
I'm currently in grade12 at South Peninsula High School. I've been at SPHS since 2008. I do the following subjects : English HL, isiXhosa FAL, Life Orientation, Mathematical Literacy, Business Studies, Economics, Dramatic Arts. I'm in the process of applying into university to study Social Development or Education or Public Management. I'd like to pursue a career in Social Work because of the increasing social problems that face our country on a daily basis.


BornfreesSA: Who are the important people in your life?
The most important person in my life is my parents. They have given me a life I can only be greatful for. They've always given me what they could never have in their lives, made sacrifices for me and I don't know if I would've been who I am without them. Even if I were to lose them now I'd be unable to continue to build my life the way I plan to in order to achieve my goals.


BornfreesSA: Do you have rolemodels you look up to?
Role Models come and go and sometimes you have more than one. A role model who inspires you can be a personal character and one who inspires you in a career sense.  Oprah Winfrey is my role model. She was sexually abused and I admire how she used that to make her stronger. She has enormous wealth and I believe God blesses her with increasing wealth because she shares with the less fortunate, she travels to areas of need and leaves her mark. Most people respond to abuse as a punishment from God, they use it as an excuse to treat other people even themselves in a bad manner.
Noleen Maholwana Sangqu is my other role model. She's a conservative woman. She has her own talk show, which is something I'd dearly like to have one day. I'd like to be a talk show host for a show on Social Issues. You will see the talk show similarity between Noleen and Oprah.


BornfreesSA: What are the benefits of being a Bornfree?
Benefits of being a bornfree is cause of being born post apartheid. Born into a new and democratic SA.


BornfreesSA: What are the difficult parts of being a Bornfree?
Negetive aspects of being a born free. Well we are born into a period of reconciliation. A new start. Stories that we don't have first hand experience of. We are in constant wonder of yesterday. Was is really like this? Is the new SA very transformed? Has there been change? Where would I have been if I were born that time?
The after effects of apartheid affect us even though we were not around that time. We face racism on a daily basis. The conflict is still in the air we breath. It's like walking into your parents fighting and when you walk in they stop fighting. The room will be filled with tension you don't know why they were fighting but you are there experiencing the bad vibes. 


BornfreesSA: What's your idea of a perfect day?
My perfect day is waking up at 6am, getting a bath and leaving for school at 7am getting to school maybe at 7:40. Starting school and finishing it in a good mood. Going home and taking a nap, cooking supper watching a bit of tv studying or homework then sleeping. A perfect day is when I don't cry or hurt.


BornfreesSA: What are your dreams for your future?
I'd like a career in Social Work and my biggest dream is to be a TV personality that people can admire and look up to not for material purpose but because of my impact on society.


BornfreesSA: Do you have a message for other Bornfrees?
Set goals and work towards achieving them. Your life is in the palm of your hands - put it in a pocket or lift it up high.


Thank you very much. I've been following Bornfrees since 2004 and always wondered how and where they were picked etc but now I'm glad to be at least on the Facebook page! I hope they are all well and nothing of a social issue has happened to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment