Wednesday 30 January 2013

Bornfree Profile: Vuyiswa from Rustenburg



Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com

Today we meet Vuyiswa who lives in Rustenburg in the North West Province:   

Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently

I'm Pennelope Vuyiswa Mokuoa. I'm from North West at Rustenburg, living in village called Luka.

Who do you live with and where?

I'm living with my late mom's family (my grandmother, my two mother's sisters and my mom's young brother) and my second brother.


What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that

I'm attending school at Tlhabane complex: it's an upgrading private school. I'm going to upgrade my physical science because I didn't do well in it but I did pass my Matric well.


Who is the most important person in your life and why?

The most important person in my life is my grandmother because she raised me after losing my mom on 06 September 2004. She guided me through evil and loved me for who I am, rather than who I might turn out to be. She gave me all I could ask in a mother. She makes sure that I have something to eat, I have clothes to wear at home and at school. She used her grant money to make me live like other children till today.

I am who I am and a good young woman today because of her. Her rules will always be the keys I use to open the doors of happiness, her classes. I salute my grandmother.


Do you have any role models and what do you admire in them?

My mom and my three brothers are my role models. My mom is my role model because she taught me of how to be a young, strong, independent woman. She was my queen without a crown, one who taught me how to take care of myself and respect myself and everyone I meet before she passed away. She taught me that if I want to be somebody, if I want to go somewhere I better wake up and pay attention.

My brothers are also my role models because they didn't give up on me after losing our mother, they took me in their lives as their own. They brought light in my life because I was living a dark life always telling myself that I m nothing in this world. They showed me ways to live like normal children who have both parents. They taught me never to care about my past because only the future can determine where I come from and also to treasure my dignity and find passion where no one else can. For the past 7 years they've been there for me through good and bad days and they make sure that I go to school every day and I produce something at the end of the day. I'm a strong young woman because of them till today. I thank these four people every day I wake up because they guided me through storms. They are my best friends


What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree

The benefit of a bornfree is to bring light (changes) to those who live in a dark zones(difficult life).


Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree

I don't believe that there are negative aspects of being a bornfree
 

What's your idea of a perfect day?

My idea of a perfect day is to wake up and tell myself that "it's time to go forward, no matter the downs I have been through, no matter the hardships. I'm going forward with my dreams and will do all the best to sustain them and I will work hard for them to became true" (words that keeps me strong).That's why my mom once said "if I you want to be somebody if you want to go somewhere you better wake up and pay attention so that when something bad comes around I should be prepared to fight back"....


What dream do you have for yourself, or a goal you want to achieve?

I want to explore so many in life but most importantly I want to bring something back to my family by going to varsity and bring something back home that is worth my life (being a social worker and a poetress) to make them more proud.

 
What message would you share with other Bornfrees?

My message to the Bornfrees is be yourself and beat your own drum. Never dance to someone's music but your own. Just be yourself and never try to be someone you not. Have your own drives, your own struggles but never back down. Keep a smile on your face even if hurts to. Don't care about your past because only the future can determine where you come from.

Treasure your dignity and find passion where no one else can. Be passionate and never back down because quitters never win and winners never quit. Be who you are and never change to suit anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment