Thursday 20 December 2012

Bornfree Profile: Andiphe from Cape Town


Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com

Today we meet Andiphe who hails from the Eastern Cape but is currently studying in Cape Town:

Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently
I am Andiphe Ndlebe, a female, 18 years of age; I was born on the 11 of May in 1994. I am from Idutywa in the Eastern Cape, from a rural area called “Nyhwarha” eMantshilibeni but I currently live in the Western Cape in a township called Kraaifontein outside the city of Cape Town.
 
Who do you live with and where?
I live with my mother Nontsebenzo Ndlebe and my niece Sinengomso “Rosie” Ndlebe in the same township Kraaifontein in the Western Cape.


What are you doing currently and tell us more about that
I am a first year student at the University of the Western Cape in the Faculty of Economic and Management Sciences, doing a B Commerce degree hoping to major in the field of Economics. Economics is about how we use the available resources we have to satisfy our unlimited needs and wants. I chose to do this degree because it is my passion; I want to know what is happening, how it occurred, what are the possible situations for it, in all being the one who come up with solutions.

Who is the most important person in your life and why?
The most important person in my life is me, not that I’m not considering the people in my life as important. I’m so glad to have them in my life. It’s just that everything I do at this stage of my life is about me; I’m trying to build a future for myself, that every decision I make in my life has to be in line with who I want to be. Who I want to be is an example and leader of the future, is to lead the way for others, and is to bring about a positive impact in where I live

Do you have any role models and what do you admire in them?
My role models are people who I took certain things from, people who live the truth, who are them and have brought massive change or influenced people’s lives for the better. One person I can say is Mr. Nelson Mandela, after so many years of unjustified imprisonment he was able to forgive and lead the way to a better future for South Africa and its people. He stood for what he believed in, what was right and sacrificed him so our country could be free. He championed, wanted to be the one to bring change when so many were afraid not for self-gain and self-recognition but to change a situation that was appalling. That many adore him, look up to him and I’m one of those people who look up to him. In my life I want to be me, do me, not to be influenced by how this world is but to pursue my potential, live my dreams and in the process help or inspire somebody who is not living like that to be like that.

What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree
I think the benefit of being a born free is to not experience or go through the things our parents went through during the apartheid years. We as born frees, live in a time of many opportunities, being able to do what you like, fulfilling your own potential. An example is the free education, in some schools they do not pay for school fess or are being charged at low rates, they receive books for free. And many disadvantaged children are entering tertiary education through the fund from Government and there are so many corporates who also assist. We can be anywhere we like, make friends with whoever we want, and sit in places where our parents were not allowed to be. We raise our voices high to issues we feel they concern us and are in need to be addressed. There are no barriers to us living our own lives the way we want.

Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree
The negative impacts of being a born free. I  cannot mention them specifically but we living the same live any South African is living, poverty on some of us, unemployment, drug addiction and the feeling that you not safe when you walking on the streets.

What's your idea of a perfect day?
My idea of a perfect day is to get your work or task done without any complications, being with people who love and understand you, to actually feel every day that you have accomplished something.

What dream do you have for yourself, or a goal you want to achieve?
My goal is to get my degree after the four years, work for a big corporate, hopefully open my own business and live the life I want to live. After all of that is to go back to where I come from and help young people on how to reach for their dreams, put my expertise, knowledge and skills on uplifting my community, to play my part.

What message would you share with other Bornfrees?
The message I share with other born frees is: we are free; we are not going through the same struggle our parents went through. Let us take the opportunities presented to us, use them effectively and wisely to build the future of this country and our lives. Let us know that we are special and fortunate, we have the power and abilities. The way is opened to do anything we want, to be who we want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment