Tuesday 29 January 2013

Bornfree Profile: Claire from Johannesburg


Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com


Today we meet Claire who lives in Johannesburg:  


Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently

Hello, my name is Claire Bristow. I am 18 years old (born on the 13th June 1994) I am currently living in the South of Johannesburg where I have lived my whole life.
 

Who do you live with and where?

I live with my parents and older brother (21) in a quiet neighbourhood in the South of Johannesburg.

 
What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that

As of this week Thursday (31 January 2013), I will be attending Wits University where I will be doing a BA – majoring in Psychology.


Who is the most important person in your life and why?

I don’t have one important person in my life... I am surrounded by the most amazing friends and family who are all very important to me.

My parents have to be the most incredible parents on this planet, they always support me in whatever I choose to do and have always been there for me. My brother is my other half, we may fight but I couldn’t have asked for a better brother.

My friends are always there to pick me up when I am down; they are there with me through the good, the bad and the horrible times. I am very lucky to be surrounded with my friends and family, they are all very important to me and I am grateful to have them in my life.


Do you have any role models and what do you admire in them?

There are so many influential people in my lives (from presidents all the way down to family members), I could name them and talk about them but the most important role model is the one closest to my heart – my grandmother.

My grandmother has to be one of the bravest and strongest ladies I know. Over the past 15 years my grandmother has been through a great deal (losing her husband, numerous operations, stroke...) and has managed to get through it all with a smile on her face. My grandmother has taught me to never give up when the going gets tough because with God, all things are possible. I am very blessed to have a role model such as my grandmother.

 
What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree

We as Bornfrees are able to live in a country where any race/gender is able to; get equal education, able to vote and have access to proper healthcare. Being a Bornfree has given us the benefit of being equal to our neighbour despite our racial and/or gender differences.


Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree

We are constantly being reminded of apartheid and everything bad that happened due to apartheid, we are not able to develop properly as Bornfrees because of the ghosts of our parent’s/grandparent’s past. I am not saying that apartheid must be forgotten and parents must not educate their children but there is a time and place for everything.
 
Us as bornfrees know that we are very lucky to not have lived through apartheid and to be living in a democratic country, so let us reap from the benefits to ensure that something like apartheid doesn’t happen again.


What's your idea of a perfect day?

My idea of a perfect day would be a movie day with my friends. On a rainy day (I love rain); hire some DVDs, order Pizza, make hot chocolate, grab a few blankets and have a chick flick day with my girls.


What dream do you have for yourself, or a goal you want to achieve?

In 6 years time I hope to be a qualified Educational psychologist. I also want to continue my community service and maybe even start my own community project.


What message would you share with other Bornfrees?

There is nothing standing in our way to achieve what we want to achieve. There is no blaming apartheid for not achieving your goals; work hard and you can do whatever you want to do.

We are very lucky to have been born into a democracy so take full advantage of it. We are the future of this country; don’t let everyone who fought for their and our rights down so work hard and don’t let anyone or anything stand in the way of your dreams.



Keep in touch with Claire on @ClaireyFairy101

No comments:

Post a Comment