Monday 28 January 2013

Bornfree Profile: Thandolwethu from Pietermaritzburg


Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com

Today we meet Thandolwethu originally from Komatipoort but staying in Pietermaritzburg:

 
Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently.

I'm Thandolwethu Jele my friends call me Jeleza. I was born on the 24th of August 1994 at Shongwe Hospital. I'm from Block C, Komatipoort. Currently I reside at Pietermaritzburg because It's where I'll be furthering my studies for the next 3 years.


Who do you live with and where?

If I'm not with my mates at school, I live with my Grandfather and my cousins at Block C, Komatipoort


What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that

I'm soon to be a first year student at UKZN. It's a very thrilling feeling that in a few weeks I'll be in a very spacious environment meeting new people and doing everything on my own. it is one moment I can not wait to live.


Who is the most important person in your life and why?

I have a list of very important people in my life, my Family and Friends, all of them play a vital role in my well being and proper development. Life is just greater with a lot of hearts wishing you well. My Aunt, who is also my mother in different ways, is one of the many people in the list of the most important people in my life. She is amazing, loving, caring and precious.


Do you have any role models and what do you admire in them?

Well, I don't really have a specific role model. There are a lot of positive, influential and inspiring people that I admire, for different reasons of course.

There was once a scientist called Rosalind Franklin. I admire her never-dying findings and research regarding The DNA.
I also admire the Late Rosa Parks for her powerful activism for human rights.


What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree

There are now many opportunities for all people regarding education. We as bornfrees have access to free health care and education, Primary, Secondary and Tertiary education.


Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree

Most bornfrees want to be spoon fed all the time. They lack the drive to be independent and responsible. Most of them are not goal driven because they expect all things to be for free, both now and in the future.


What's your idea of a perfect day?

A cool day, not too hot or too cloudy. Good food, Good entertainment with lots of fun, laughter and games.


What dream do you have for yourself, or a goal you want to achieve?

After all my years of studying in the fields of biological science and agricultural science I want to be a qualified Veterinarian in the end.

I want to travel the world, explore nature and help develop the community I came from.


What message would you share with other Bornfrees?

Never let anyone belittle you because you are young! Live Free, Do all things good, respect others, appreciate all that you have, value life and best of all Do unto others as you'd want them to do unto to you! Always take care!

To keep in touch:
@JELLEWOOD on Twitter

1 comment: