Sunday 23 December 2012

Bornfree Profile: Lizzy from Cape Town


Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com

Today we meet Lizzy who hails from Cape Town:
 

Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently

My name is Elizabeth Evans, but I like to be called Lizzy. I was born in Cape Town at the Karl Bremer Hospital on 5 April 1994 and I am still living here in the Mother City. 
 

Who do you live with and where?

I live in Table View with my Mum, Dad and younger brother. 
 

What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that

I am currently in Matric at Abbotts College. It’s a Senior School for grade 10, 11 and 12. The best thing about it is it’s a college environment, where everyone is treated as an adult. We have quite a bit of freedom, but are expected to take our responsibilities seriously. I have a part time job, waitressing. I would have liked something more serious but it’s difficult to find something that allows you to work and still attend school.
 

Who is the most important person in your life and why?

I am surrounded by my family and friends all the time and I consider them as very important in my life. They have a major influence on my life decisions and who I am as a person.  They play an important part in supporting and uplifting me. My younger brother, Chris,  is probably the most important to me because we have a bond that is indescribable. Although he is 7 years younger than I am, he is, in many ways, one of my best friends. 


Do you have any role models and what do you admire in them?

I don’t have any specific "role models" but a lot of people do inspire me. It’s small every day things that people do that are a constant source of inspiration. My parents and close friends inspire me a lot.  I find many South African celebrities inspiring because of what they do for this country and its people; especially when they don’t forget where they’ve come from and do something to pay their good fortune forward to help others.  

Even though I don’t do ballet anymore, after dancing for almost 15 years, I find the dancers at Cape Town City Ballet very inspiring. They are incredibly dedicated to their passion and work hard to achieve.  Being a part of the Arts and Culture industry  in South Africa is very difficult as there is very little money.  Despite this, they are dedicated to their passion and work hard to achieve.  They do what they do for the love of it, not for financial reward.
 

What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree

I am lucky to have been born into freedom where everyone has equal rights and are treated fairly. I’m glad I was not alive to experience Apartheid and that I only know about it through what we were taught at school and from what I’ve heard from older people.


Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree

I think BEE and affirmative action are definitely negative aspects.  I agree with the principle of and reasons for it, but we’re a whole generation into freedom now.  Shouldn’t it end?  Besides, many of the people benefitting from it weren’t directly affected by apartheid.  I don’t believe that anyone should get preference or be treated ‘better’. Our human rights say we should all be treated equally.  That is exactly what should happen, all the time, every time. 
 

What's your idea of a perfect day?

A perfect day would be to wake up late, find the sun is shining and head to the beach with friends - just spending the day laughing and relaxing.  After that I’d braai with family and friends before heading out to a club in town to party the night away!


What dream do you have for yourself, or a goal you want to achieve?

My current short term dream is to pass matric and hopefully get an A for maths and business studies. I would also like to travel to England next year to live and work for a few months before heading to Europe.
 
My long term dreams are to buy my own house and to find a career path where I get to do a job that I’m passionate about and love.
 

What message would you share with other Bornfrees?

We are very lucky to grow up in apartheid free world and have the human rights that we do. We are surrounded by different people every day from different races, genders, religions, traditions, beliefs and values and, in our country, we’re all seen as equal. We have many opportunities and, after we matriculate, the world is ours to explore. Anything is possible as long as you work hard and dream big. My childhood in South Africa has been amazing, and I am very lucky. If I had a chance to change where I grew up, I wouldn’t at all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment