Wednesday 19 September 2012

Bornfree Profile: Thabisa from Paarl, Western Cape


Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com

Today we meet Thabisa from Paarl in the Western Cape:

Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently
I am Thabisa Lephaila. I was born at Paarl Hospital, I'm from a township called Mbekweni a few kilometers from Paarl and this is where I still live. At home I live with my mother and my cousin brother.

What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that
I'm still in High School doing grade 12 at Ihlumelo Senior Secondary School. I do the following subjects: IsiXhosa HL, English FAL, Mathematics, Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, Computer Applications Technology and Life Orientation.

Who is the most important person in your life and why?
The most important person is my mother because she's the only working individual at home and she has been a single mother for the last 16 years. She makes sure that I'm healthy, my school things are up to date and she also loves me to bits.

Do you have any role models and what do you admire in them?
My role models are women and young people who don't need anyone to do things for them, they themselves work hard to get what they want. They do not need to depend on crime in order to survive. They inspire me to do what I want to do so that our country can be a better place. People such as Claire Mawisa and Tyra Banks also inspire me. The work they do and working with young girls to improve their self esteems and other stuff that most teenage girls go through.

What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree
We live in a country where there is no longer Apartheid and society accept different racial groups. We also have equal rights as people in South Africa, more especially children.

Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree
Yes there are, some teenagers take their parents for granted. They do things to hurt them and when they are being punished they tell them that they have rights forgetting that rights come with responsibilities.

What is your idea of a perfect day
My idea of a perfect day is getting peace and quiet so I can just get some quality time with myself. Also I wouldn't say no to getting to read a few novels because I'm a book worm! :)

What dream do you have for yourself, or a goal you want to achieve?
I want to be a medical doctor. There is a huge demand for medical doctors in our country. I want to be the first doctor to come out of my family as well as in my school.

What message would you share with other Bornfrees?
We as Bornfrees need to be role models and set perfect examples for our younger siblings and the following generations. They need to be able to look up to us and want to be like us, only for the good things we do!

Special thanks to Thabisa for connecting with us via twitter @BornfreesSA!

No comments:

Post a Comment