Tuesday 18 September 2012

Bornfrees Profile: Takondwa from Pretoria, Gauteng


Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com

Today we meet Takondwa who lives in Pretoria, Gauteng:

 
Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently

My name is Takondwa Karen Mwendera, an 18 year old girl born on the 23 of July 1994 in Malawi. I am currently staying at the residence of my school- Midrand Graduate Institute however I live in Pretoria in Murrayfield with my mother, father and sister.


What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that

In terms of school,  I am currently doing a Pre-degree bridging course at Midrand Graduate Institute studying Journalism. I will be completely my bridging course this November and will be starting 1st year of university next year. And so far schooling at Midrand Graduate has opened my eyes to a limitless number of possibilities.

 
Who is the most important person in your life and why?

I don't think I have just one important person in my life because there so many people who have impacted my life and mean a lot to me. But I think both my parents mean the world to me. I cannot imagine life without because they have sacrificed their whole life just to get me where I am today and the successful future I plan to have tomorrow.

 
Do you have any role models and what do you admire in them?

Yes I do have a couple of Role Models. First and foremost my family. I am the last born in my family of four children and they have all finished their degrees and are currently working whilst the third born is doing her honours. My brother and sisters have left a remarkable pathway for me to follow in. They are very hardworking and they are living proof and walking testimonies of the wondrous things God can do for you. My parents too are people I admire because of how they worked so hard to escape from poverty and be where they are today. They have taught me how to live strong and how to be humble and about the how the fear of God is the beginning to true Wisdom. My dad has always said to me 'No one has ever died from studying'.

There is also one American Poet and motivational talker by the name of Maya Angelou. She is a strong woman and her life and all that she has been through inspires me a lot to never give up in life, no matter what life throws at you.


What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree

I think being a bornfree is like being born in a world where freedom is no longer an issue but we are born with the right to live free from dangers, and suffering and free to be proud of our culture and enjoy it wit others. We have the right to make our own choices and the right to live in freedom.


Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree

Well I think there are a few negative aspects of being a Bornfree to some extent. For example too much freedom can lead to a lack of discipline. And many people believe this generation of children is the worst. They are quick to judge but forgetting they are the ones who raised us. But i believe it is up to us as kids to rid of that stereotype and prove to them that something good can come out of being a bornfree.

 
What's your idea of a perfect day?

My idea of a perfect day is waking up happy knowing that God has given you this day to live and fulfilling it to the max no matter where you are and who you are with but just doing what makes you happy.


What dream do you have for yourself, or a goal you want to achieve?

My long term goals at the moment are not properly defined but I know that God has a bright plan for my future and all I know is that I want to impact on people's lives positively. Especially on children and teenagers. I would love to one day become a motivational speaker and open my own youth center. I would also love to travel to different countries because I love travelling.


What message would you share with other Bornfrees?

My message to other Born-frees is to be proud of who you are and to thank our elders of today for fighting so that we can have our rights today and have the capacity to make our choices. And we have to live to make a better future for the next generation. And to give thanx to God always.
 
Special thanks to Matshelo Youth Organisation for connecting us to Takondwa: http://www.matshelo.org/ui/forms/Home.aspx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment