Monday 15 October 2012

Bornfrees Profile: Indy from Cape Town


Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com or our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BornfreesSa or twitter @BornfreesSA


Today we meet Indy from Cape Town:


Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently
My names are Indiphile Akusoloko Nwabisa and my surname is Makamba, I use my first name mostly (Indiphile). My friends call me Indy. I'm from Matatiele, KwaZulu Natal. I'm currently staying at Parklands, Table View in Cape Town. I was born on the 04th of April 1994.


Who do you live with and where?
I live with my mom, Sanelisiwe Makhamba and my two cousins, Lorraine (19) and Tharollo (15). We live in a complex at Parklands. I share my bedroom with my cousins, it's a big room so we have our own beds.


What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that
I'm currently not studying, I decided to take a gap year. I finished Matric last year (2011) at Norkem Park High School. But next year I'm planning to go to school. I have applied into many institutions, just waiting for their response. I wanna study Biotechnology or Medical Lab Technology. The university I really wanna be accepted at is the Stellenbosch University.


Who is the most important person in your life and why?
The most important person in my life right now, and I think forever, is my mom, Sanelisiwe. She is my everything, she's really an inspiration. At the age of 22 she decided to take the responsibility and fostered me. Initially, she's my Aunt, my biological mother's younger sister. My biological mother passed on when I was 8 years, in 2002 on the 24th of December. I have never met my father, so I don't know him. The only father figure I know is my uncle. So that is the reason my mom is the most important person in my life, she really is an angel. She likes helping, she's giving, caring, loving, self driven and always go out of her way to make everyone happy and to put that light bulb in every ones' future so it shines. I really love and appreciate her. I'm thankful for her and I thank God at all times for making her a part of my life, she is a huge part of my life. She is also my role model.


What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree
Benefits of being a born free would be that we were all born into a democratic country, into a free nation and into apartheid free societies. The Born frees didn't experience the torture, the pain and the distressing situations that our nation experienced. And we have a lot of opportunities, we are not judged through our skin color nor gender


Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree
The disadvantages of being a born free are that we are exposed to too many things, some of course are good but mostly bad stuff. This had caused us to be easily distracted and made us to lose focus on the good and important things in our lives like school. And a lot of our decisions are influenced by all these things we are exposed to, I'm talking about the music we listen to, the artists/celebrities we look up to, television shows we watch and the books/magazines we read. All these things are huge influential factors in our lives and the lead to a lot of confusion, which then leads to a lot of bad decisions. Another thing a lot of things are handed to us, we really don't work hard for what we have therefore we tend to not appreciate what we have.


What's your idea of a perfect day?
A perfect day for me is if I get time to spend with my friends and boyfriend or talk to them on the phone because they live in Johannesburg. I used to live there too, I only moved to Cape Town this year because my mom got a better job this side. And if I spend quality time with my family, have good laughs and a lots of heart smiles through breath taking conversations. That's a perfect day for me. :)
 

What dream or goal do you have for yourself?
My goal is to get my Masters in Biotechnology. I also would like to open my own property business and a later stage, just to give back to the community, I would love to be a teacher and foster children. And if manageable, I would like to have my own school, a non-profit educational organization for the less fortunate children from all over Africa.

 
What message would you share with other Bornfrees?
My message to all the Born Frees is that life is a challenge and to win a challenge one needs focus and focus means one needs to have self control 'cause no one but you will face the consequences in the end. Prioritize!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment