Monday 15 October 2012

Bornfrees Profile: Vuyolwethu from Cape Town


 
Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com or our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BornfreesSa or twitter @BornfreesSA


Today we meet Vuyolwethu who hails from Cape Town:

 
Tell us who you are and where you're from, and staying currently

My name is Vuyolwethu Heather Dubese and I was born and currently residing in Khayelitsha, Cape Town. I am a bornfree generation and one who is in love with life and its ups and downs. I'm a born-again Christ lover and I've baptised my lifestyle into the way that I don't conform my perception to the norms of statistical representation of either my race or culture. I am controlled vulnerability and embrace whatever it is that may land on my lap. I'm also currently at a boarding house at my academic institution in Tokai, Constantia.


Who do you live with and where?

I live with my parents (Nontobeko and Patrick Dubese) and my 13 year old sister, Entle, in Makhaya, Khayelitsha.


What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that

I'm at present a matriculant at The Cape Academy of Mathematics, Science and Technology, a place I call the "Global Classroom of Networking" as through it I've had the honour of meeting and greeting the likes of Sindiwe Magona, Michelle Obama and Judge Dennis Davis. At school I major in Accounting, Information Technology, Mathematics and Physical Sciences; and then my languages are Afrikaans and English, and Life Orientation.

 
Who is the most important person in your life and why?

The most important person in my life is he/she who is reading this. The person who's never met me but has encountered with my name or anything attached to my name, be it what's written on my blog or pictures I upload on social networks. Whatever it is that they may say, be it laudatory or destructive or purely constructive criticism, I believe "What doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger" and this is what keeps me going. My mom is also my biggest critic and loudest cheerleader.


Do you have a rolemodel?

My role model is my cousin Nosphiwo Dubese who is currently a South African Diplomat in China. I admire her strength, her love for her family and her selflessness. I always tell her that to me she's my older sister and that I aspire to inspire and be influential in a greater magnitude than her. *smiles*


What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree

I see the benefits of being a part of the bornfree generation as that of first being able to walk down any street and not be stopped by a caucasian policeman dictating to me WHAT I am and HOW I am to embrace WHO I am. The education we have, the technology we are exposed to and the goldmine of opportunities to be a part of a global community in whatever field we would want to venture to.


Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree

The stereotype set by the older generation that we have nothing to fight for. We are drenched in our peers being easily influenced by societal views (and conforming to norms) and this conveying abruptly to the way they (and ultimately 'one bad apple spoils the lot'- so every Bornfree is viewed this way) behave and viewed to the audience of life.


What's your idea of a perfect day?

A perfect day is a day outdoors with friends to the movies and eating until our stomachs are pumped up with the most delicious of treats, *chuckle*. The perfect way to end a day would be to read a few chapters of a novel and drown my creative juices in writing.

 
What dream or goal do you have for yourself?

I aspire to be a media mogul and an ambassador for an NPO of a cause close to my heart which is that of xenophobia (just the term in itself boils my blood) and/or human rights. Challenging and channeling thoughts and perspective through writing is also something that is close to my heart. And most importantly, being a seed that will use the influential powers that I'll generate to leave a legacy that my grandchildren and their generation will be able to benefit from.

 
What message would you share with other Bornfrees?

My message to my fellow Bornfrees would be to LISTEN as though your Life depended on it, always invite other people's opinions whether it's to your brain or ears and then filter it to open your perspective on things. And lastly, believe that you can because you got this far, what's stopping you to continue and getting even further?

 

Thank you for this opportunity

 








 

No comments:

Post a Comment