Monday 26 November 2012

Bornfree Profile: Sian from Cape Town



Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com

Today we meet Sian from Cape Town:

Tell us about yourself

My name is Sian Ferguson. I was born in Johannesburg, but moved to Cape Town when I was 2 weeks old. Almost all of my family lives here. I am currently living in Wynberg, Cape Town.

Who do you live with and where?

I stay in a flat with my mother.

What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that

I'm currently writing finals. I'm also working as a waitress at a restaurant in Plumstead, and I'm really enjoying that because I get to interact with people, earn money and learn more about the working world. I'll be studying toward a Bachelor of Social Sciences in Politics, Philosophy and Economics (BSocSci PPE) at UCT next year. I'm so excited to go into varsity - I'll be learning about something I love! :)

Who is the most important person in your life and why?

Probably my mother. She's a very strong woman - she's a single working mother who raised four kids. She always had time for us all even though she's had to run a household, work, and put us all through school. I live alone with her right now, as my siblings are grown up and have moved out. We're really close - I respect and admire her.

Do you have any role models and what do you admire in them?

I don't have any specific role models. Often, people choose role models, idolise them, and then are disappointed when their role models fail them. Everybody has weaknesses. I admire quite a few people for specific characteristics though: Nelson Mandela for his statesmanship, Sylvia Plath for her captivating writing ability, Steve Biko for the way he effortlessly articulated his out-of-the-box thoughts, Desmond Tutu for his faith in, and understanding of humanity,


What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree?

I think being born in that time of much adversity, but much hope, gives one an incredible faith in the ability of ordinary citizens to bring about change. I grew up in a time where diversity, equality, freedom and love was celebrated. As I've grown up, I found that many South Africans who are a few years older than us are quicker to judge, slower to empathize, and more cynical (although this is a generalization).

The Matrics of 2012, Babies of '94, whatever one should call them, have forged a kind of bond. I think our faith and optimism meant that we refuse to be complacent about the state of our country - we, and members of our generation, are willing to take an active role in changing South Africa for the better. The times are changing.


Are there any negative aspects of being a Bornfree?
As with most generations, we have to deal with the legacy previous generations left behind. Much of this legacy is the inequality created by apartheid. Our generation has to deal with a crumbling education system, the necessary but ineffective systems of AA and BEE, poverty and unemployment, racism, and a lack of sufficient health care services, to name a few issues. I go to an economically diverse, but mainly middle class school and I thus can see the frustration that many impoverished individuals face.
 
I also see how many of the 'richer' students have to deal with their parent's contempt towards the poor who they are 'supporting' with their tax money. Many of my friends have relayed stories about them having to deal with their parents' racism - from all races - as well as a lack of empathy towards those of different races, classes, backgrounds etc. Some people inherit this judgemental attitude from their parents. Others choose not to inherit this outlook, but rather overcome it.


What's your idea of a perfect day?

I want to learn and experience as much as I can. I want to talk to people I've always wanted to talk to: Ghandi, F Scott Fitzgerald, Karl Marx, Nelson Mandela, Shakespeare, Steve Biko, as well as many current political leaders of our country. I would love to have a discussion with them all, or better yet, watch them have a discussion amongst themselves. On a more superficial note, my perfect day would also involve lots of ice-cream and shoe shopping! :)
 

What dream do you have for yourself, or a goal you want to achieve?

When I die, the world will be a better place than when I first entered it. I dedicate my life to helping others, both on a small- and large-scale basis. If one person has a better, easier, happier life because of me, I will be satisfied. But I want to help way more than just one person. I hope to leave some kind of positive legacy when I die.


What message would you share with other Bornfrees?

We are capable of so much. Impossibility is nothing: Table Mountain is impossibly flat, we went through an impossibly bloodless revolution around the time of our birth. Share your vision, and actively be a part of the change you want to see. We can do anything.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment