Sunday 25 November 2012

Bornfree Profile: Thandiwe from Gauteng


Welcome to our awesome series of interviews with Bornfrees! We'll be highlighting the stories of Bornfrees from all around South Africa and are keen to hear from YOU if you were born into freedom - make contact through our email bornfrees18@gmail.com or our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/BornfreesSa or twitter @BornfreesSA

Today we meet Thandy from Soweto in Gauteng.

Tell us who you are and where you're from and staying currently
I am Thandiwe "Thandy" Neo Fihla. From the township of Soweto and currently staying there. I live with a whole of people, with different characters - but family of course. It’s a full house with cousins of my age group, elders like my mom, uncle, aunt and my awesome grandfather. We live in Orlando East in Soweto.
What are you doing currently (eg. attending school, working etc) and tell us more about that?
I am currently attending school at Parktown High School for GIRLS!!!

Who is the most important person in your life and why?
The most important person in my life I would say is my mother and my aunt in one (her sister). I grew up without the support of my dad. No support in any way is what I mean. My mom has always been there no matter what and has never really given up on me. No matter what happens she is always there not only to pull me out of trouble she lets me face my music and dance along to it.

My mother just motivates me all the time and even at my lowest point. She is practically all I have. My aunt has also been there in the most difficult times my mom and I went through and has become a mother to me as well. There is no way that I could mention my mom without mentioning her as well, as she has played a big role of a mother and a father to me when my mom was not around. So those two together make one as the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN MY LIFE!!

Do you have a rolemodel?
I usually admire people who are in my life and make some sort of an impact in it. My cousin Thandeka. She is a talented young woman at knocking sense and motivating me. She's like a big sister to me and I don't think she knows that I admire her. From a young age I admired her and would sometimes close my eyes and count to 5 and by the time I opened my eyes I would want to transform magically somehow into "Thandeka”. She is very focused and seems serious at times. I have always been dependent on her and she has always been there for me.

What do you think is the benefit of being a Bornfree?
First and foremost EDUCATION!! I think the education we receiving is a huge benefit to bornfrees as it has opened so many opportunities to become successful in both the present and future not only for the black South African but everyone in this country. Education/ the knowledge we receive from being educated in some way does not only benefit us at school but also in other parts of life. It assists us in making constructive decisions, and enables the "Human survival”.

What are the benefits of being a Bornfree?
Even though we receive good education and opportunities we tend to take that for granted and we corrupt the seed of education in coming with illegal ideas from being taught or being educated about something. For example, someone who is well educated who takes all their knowledge and applies it to a scam or an illegal dealing just because he/she wants more than what he can actually get. And unfortunately that is why we have high crime rates and our politicians bite off more than they can actually get.

What's your idea of a perfect day?
As a young lady who is all about the love of family, a perfect day would just be a day of spending quality time with my loved ones. Where we all just sit, share stories and just appreciate each other.

Do you have a dream or goal?
It’s not a dream but a goal and a vision. I don't get moved by dreams I want to take action through my visions and goals. I see myself as a successful nutritionist impacting the people in community and growing them as a whole. I also see myself helping others especially kids as they are the future after mine. Not only in terms of nutrition but in other ways I can help.

What message would you share with other Bornfrees?
TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EDUCATION. I know it might not sound "cool" but we have to take advantage of the opportunities that come with it. Not only to make a difference to your love but let it impact others around you. And try not give up in anything you do. Be driven... with fire and all forces. GRAB IT with both hands and hold on.

Special thanks to HDI Youth Marketers for connecting us to Thandiwei!

No comments:

Post a Comment